Monday, May 29, 2006

To Fib or Not to Fib...This is my statement

I have to be honest, even though I have lied in the past. It is the nature of my being. I'm probably TOO honest, too open. Dammit.

I'm not a very convincing liar, I'm HORRIBLE at poker, and I'm about as see through as one of Paris Hilton's shirts. Although, it's only recently that I've realized how demoralizing and trust destroying lying really is.

**cough** Bush **cough**

What brought this up? I'm not positive. This is just something I know to be true. I've thought about the harm I've brought to others, which I regret.

  • I lied to someone telling him that I loved him to avoid my *sinful* attraction. To be normal and accepted in our society. I DID care for him, but not in that way.
  • I lied (by omission) to protect someone else's secret.
  • I lied to myself for many years, though I didn't realize it. It was like a part of me stayed in a cocoon until recently. Then...BAM...I developed in different aspects of my life Mostly emotional and inter-personal ways. I had to quit lying and deceiving myself to get to the truth of who I am.


Still, do my legions of devoted and beloved readers think it is ever ok to lie?

7 Comments:

At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lying by omission is OK if you are doing it to protect a friend. Sometimes the truth should be kept as a matter of keeping the peace or because the truth would be painful to someone other than ourselves. Not being truthful about ourselves is a human thing. We face the truth when we are ready. Don't be so hard on yourself. You are a good person with good intentions.
I would never want to be the President. The responsibility is overwhelmingly huge and I don't feel able to judge his decisions. I'm sure he is doing the best he can with what he has.

 
At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lie always depends on the situation. Take someone with Alzheimers who doesn't remember her husband passing away. Every time she asks where is he, do you make her relive the fact he passed? or do you make up a story to save her the heartbreak again?

 
At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honesty is tricky. I think, or I guess I should say that I've found that most of the time a lie will come back to haunt you at some point. Of course this could just be because I am horrible at lying and like you said "about as see through as one of Paris Hilton's shirts." In truth though I think there is something to be said for the old "honesty is the best policy" saying.

 
At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not all lying is bad.
I tell my patients in work their spouses have gone to work,When really they have been dead for years.The lying saves them getting upset.I think sometimes you can lie without it being harmful.Like when its kinder than being honest.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Battlerocker said...

Oh what wonderful liars are we.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Valkyrie said...

Everyone: I'm glad that I have such intelligent readers.

What I'm getting out of this subject is: only lie if there is no other way to spare someone pain.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger MrManuel said...

Sometimes, you just have to lie to protect others.. There was a post on this on my blog a while back. Check the link if you are interested...

http://manuelsview.blogspot.com/2005/11/hmmm.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home