Thursday, May 18, 2006

Fate, Coincidence or Neither

Today on my way driving home from work, some idiot swerved from his lane to mine. I had to jerk the wheel, forced to make a hard left into the far lane that was thankfully empty.

My heart pounded like some frantic drum for a few minutes. When I calmed down, I thought about what a close call that was. Too close for MY comfort. Being neurotic, images of laying in a hospital bed, tended by austere looking nurses and force fed watery looking jello flashed through my all too active mind.

Then, I wondered if there were other kinds of 'close calls'. Not necessarily horrible close calls, but just by a stroke of fate, you miss meeting someone new. Or buying a scratch it lottery ticket that loses, but the next sequencial one just happened to be a winner.

I wonder just how much fate or coincidence plays into our lives or even if there IS such a thing.

One thing I know to be true, though, is that everything happens for a reason.

4 Comments:

At 7:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is no fate but what you make.

 
At 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think life takes us on a journey which we have some control over but not entirely.Sometimes fate intervines.

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I don't know about fate. My quote above is from Terminator. I think it is true in that we make decisions every day that affect our lives and those of others. Our fate is in our hands. If we can say fate is out of our hands, then we have no responsibility for our actions, we can blame fate. I can't believe that.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Valkyrie said...

Hmmm. Deep thots! Keep 'em coming!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home