Sunday, June 04, 2006

Books, books, Everywhere I Go.

I hypothesize if an author has a controversial book, then she/he is doing their job by making the reader think. Good books* are supposed to make people discuss and analyze pre-conceived notions.

1984, Dune, Animal Farm, Catch-22 (I highly recommend that one!), Lord of the Flies, I AM LEGEND...I could go on and on, but all these novels have something in common. They have all shown me a different prospective and given me a warning about human nature and society. That is to say: humans and society are an often volatile mix, like hair spray and a lighter. Especially Lord of the Flies–that’s a novel where society (such as it is with boys) has broken down into complete and utter chaos.** People need society to keep our ‘inhumane’ thoughts in check and yet if we obey the laws of society completely, we’ll end up mindless drones.

Hmm. Makes me think.***


___________________________
*
The kind I read. Mostly. Well, I read romance books also. To lighten things up in my noggin, you understand. Yeah, that's it.

**
Much like my current state of mind.

***Ow,ow,ow,ow,OWWWW

7 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't read as much as I used to but I also believe a good book should make you think and look at things differently. That is one way we can grow and advance. Even the romance ones can offer something. Glad you are feeling better.

 
At 4:13 AM, Blogger npanth said...

I like all those books... Maybe add in Flowers for Algernon? I really like boooks about cognition. I've tried to read Godel Escher Bach 5 times so far. I've never made it more than 2/3 of the way through, but I keep trying... everyone tells me I'll learn something if I ever finish it... I suspect it's the same thing Don Quixote learned when he finished his book ;)
I've been thinking about a short story for a while, I'd be interested in what you think.
http://jheaney1.blogspot.com/2006/06/short-story-idea.html

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Valkyrie said...

So Glorious: I hate being lactose intolerant. Blech. There aren't many well written romance novels, I've noticed, but I like 'em anyway.

Npanth: It's been awhile since I've read Flowers for Algernon, but I seem to recall it being a bittersweet book about a "simple" man undergoing a procedure to be smart. It works, but only for a short period of time. Then he ...oops almost said too much.

Yeah, it's a good candidate.

 
At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

iusually read horror,fantasy or thrillers.I tend to steer clear of anything true life i like a little escapism when i read.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Jay Allbritton said...

Cool site you got here.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Tai said...

I'll read anything in print (pretty much!).

I've been reading history books though, and books on politics oh, and there was a nice book about Italian gardens stuck somewhere in there too.

I just love to read.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Valkyrie said...

Hellbunny: I like to think and to read. I like a wide variety.

Station Agent: Thank you. Come again!

Tai: I love to love to read.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home