Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Internet addiction is real

I am addicted to the internet and always will be. I do not say this as a joke. I mean it. Over the past few months, I realized just how hooked I was. It got so bad that I preferred the internet over reading. Reading! I loved getting home so I could read e-mails. It made me feel good that I was connecting with people creatively. It was great. I had fun and it killed the boredom. I developed friendships with many of the people and I loved it. I IM'd people constantly when I wasn't busy writing for the game.

Well, after I couldn't keep up the online game any more, I slipped into a deep depression because I missed that connection with others.

I am much healthier for realizing my addiction to the 'Net was taking its toll on me. Creatively, intra and interpersonally (at home), and for psychological reasons...I needed to wake up and start thinking of what to do INSTEAD of being constantly on the Internet. The Simpsons and finding good books to read helped me deal with the constant itch to 'see' what's new.

Now, I spend a hour and a half online compared to four plus hours every day....I think that's an improvement.

2 Comments:

At 10:02 PM, Blogger Dani Kekoa said...

Hello R,

Hope all is going well with you. I've been thinking of you a lot lately.

Sometimes I feel like I'm addicted to the internet too. We just returned from Hawaii, but the first few days we were there, I couldn't stop thinking about getting online to check my blog. Even with all the wonderful things to do and see, I was feeing withdraws. I even felt a little depressed too - It's crazy! I sure was glad to be at the beach on a tropical island though!

Now that I'm home, I try to limit my time to 1-2 hours a day too (not counting Friday nights where I've spent over 12 hours at times). Talk about addicting!

Anyway - I finally figured out how to post pictures on my blog and I thought you would like to check them out from my trip.

Click here to see => Pictures of Hawaii

~ Aloha ~

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger MrManuel said...

I'm addicted and I know it. I spend way too much time on the net, but it doesn't help that I have wireless connection in my house and own a laptop. I just have it on all the time at me with the sofa. Mostly, it is because I am checking my work email CONSTANTLY, but I also have a list of sites I go by daily and just make myself go down the list(Yours is on this list). It's addicting, but I just love to read and keep informed with everything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home