Saturday, December 10, 2005

Books

At the local bookstore giant, Barnes and Noble, I saw Memoirs of a Geisha and since I love Asian culture so much, I decided to buy it and give it a go. (I read a few pages and it is very lyrical and beautiful so far.)

I wondered if they had books by the author that had started my fascination with Asia (particularily China and Japan. I don't know much about Thailand, Korea, and the other countries in that continent).

I remember having to read The Good Earth by Pearl Buck as an assigment. I had no interest in reading it because I was into Science Fiction. Historical fiction? Pbbbbth on that! I thought it was lame but I gave it a chance. I loved The Good Earth from the first page and the characters came to life for me. It also began an awareness that being poor isn't always a person's fault. Bad things happen to even those people that work hard.

Speed forward eighteen years to the present... I went looking for Imperial Woman, my favorite Pearl Buck novel. I didn't find it, but I found a novel of hers I haven't digested yet--Pavillion Women.

Jebus, I love reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home