Saturday, February 25, 2006

Germ Warfare

I just saw War of the Worlds (the Tom Cruise one) and it got me to thinking. Our society is too germ phobic. We try too hard to make sure we don’t get the flu or cold and that our houses have as little germs as possible. Scrub, scrub, scrub, clean, clean, clean! People use antibacterial soap for everything, which only breeds a better germ. I frankly think it is used TOO much.

Heaven forbid that people get sick and have to take a day off of work to care of themselves or their kids. Getting ill (I’m talking minor ailments, not meningitis or having a really high fever) is healthy for children. It builds a good immune system for them when they are older.

The only places that should be so stringent on germ control are: hospitals, nursing homes and other miscellaneous medical facilities. Or homes that house ‘high risk’ people–people with immunity disorders and those people who aren’t exactly in the best of health. Other than that, I believe that people should just suck it up and ease up on ‘saving the world’ from germs.

Incidentally, the War of the Worlds was good eye candy and parts of it....were quite gruesome. I liked it, and the actors did a good job, but the plot was so-so. I recommend the movie but it isn’t exactly Oscar material.

3 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit, I am a germaphob. I carry antibacterial gel in my purse and use it frequently. It seems the older I get the more conscious I am of germs. As you get older, a simple cold or flu can bacome more serious and time off work costs me money.
I saw War of Worlds when it came out on DVD, it was OK. I can't stand Tom Cruise but still watch almost everything he does. Go figure.

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Spider Girl said...

We recently removed the antibacterial soaps from my workplace and now just use regular liquid soaps because of the studies show that TOO few germs are actually not a good thing either.

Heh,fancy that.

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Valkyrie said...

Tessa: Hello!

Glorious: Hmmm. I can see your point. However, the more you use it, the 'tougher' the bacteria will eventually get. It kind of works on the same principle of taking all prescribed anti-biotics.

Spider Girl: We will need those germs when aliens try to conquer the world. Your work place is wise to get rid of the antibacterial soap.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home