Sunday, February 19, 2006

Current Affairs

This man's [Iran's President Ahmadinejad] words send a shiver of terror into my soul. It's my opinion that he wants to fight with someone, anyone that gets in his sight. I think he's a keg of dynamite just waiting to explode.

You know, I'd feel more sympathic toward the protest of the drawing of the Prophet in the Middle East (and beyond) if it weren't for the chaos caused by a simple cartoon rendering. I understand it's against their beliefs to portray the Prophet, and they have the right to protest peacefully, but it's gone way out of hand. First, it's a Danish cartoon, and somehow some of them have got it twisted in their minds that the blame for it is the United States's fault. ( I guess because we published it over here so that people could see what the controversy was about.)

I hope they calm down soon, but the fanatics seem to be caught up in a herd mentality. I stress that there is a difference between the fanatics and the ones who believe. I know enough not to lump every person of the same religion in one pot. People need to understand that different cultures have different ways of thinking, and I agree that it is *their* right to demand an apology and a promise to never show a picture of the Prophet again. It is not the right of certain radical groups to shoot at embassies or harass individuals that had nothing to do with the insult. In the end, all this violence just reflects badly upon Islam and its followers, right or wrong.

It is my firm belief that we (including religions) are all responsible for our own ways of perceiving an insult, and it is OUR responsibility with how we react to it.

4 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said and I agreee with you 100% however, I don't believe there is any way we can get everyone to agree never to show a picture of the Prophet again. Many nations believe in freedom of speech and expression. There is no way to promise that. It is the way people react to events that is scary. You cannot predict what will incite and maintain a riot. This has gone way beyond what is reasonable and I'm afraid it will get worse before it gets better. I too fear Iran's President Ahmadinejad and his agenda. We can only pray he doesn't start a world war. Peace and love.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Nobius said...

I'm not familiar with anyone blaiming the US about the cartoons, where did you hear that out of curiousity. Anyone who didn't think the cartoon wouldn't incite riots are living in a dream world. Though I do believe much of the war or terrorism is governmental propganda the truth of the matter is this, much of the Islamic world hates the west and Israel. It boils down to us versus them unfortunatley. Religious zealots abound on all sides and it can only end badly.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Valkyrie said...

Glorious: You're right. Trouble is, some Muslims don't believe in freedom of the press, or choose to see blasphemy where there is none.

Nobius: I was watching CNN when I saw a couple of protest signs saying that US is to blame. So the sentiment is there, I'm sure.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Valkyrie said...

Nobius--I envy you. I wish I had a loving spouse and kids.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home