Saturday, February 18, 2006

Bad Comic Book Stereotypes

I like comic books err... graphic novels. Yeah, that's the ticket. I am a Marvel Girl, pretty much, but as I've said before, I'm getting into the gritty works of Frank Miller. If I had more cha-ching in my ba-nking, I'd see what the fuss is about Warren Ellis.

Gambit (or Gambitch as one of my friends would say) aka Remy LeBeau. Bad "accent." Well, I like Gambit, but to some people from Louisana, he is considered offensive, mostly because he seems to be a rather contrived character.


Banshee--If you can't see how blatantly stereotypical he is, then shame on you. Hot-headed and with a really thick accent with blond-reddish hair. Hmmm. Not all Irish are hot-headed or have thick accents. Reddish hair seems to be more common over in Ireland and Scotland, but one shouldn't assume. What's wrong with black or brown hair?There is such a thing as a Black Celt. Oh, I see. It's not as easy to know the character is from Ireland. I get it, you lazy sons of a gun....

Siryn--Banshee's daughter who had a drinking problem. Imagine that. An Irishwoman who drinks too much. I'm offended.

Rogue--I know. She's my favorite character of all time, but she IS a little on the stereotypical side with her sugary "accent" and her love for another Southerner. Gambit.

Wonder Woman--Paradise Island. No men in sight. Women who look they are of Greek descent. I *wonder* (take a break from reading to bust a gut laughing at my ingenious pun) what you are supposed to infer. Hmm. I guess they might as well named Paradise Island ... Isle of Lesbos II.

Batman--What's a poor orphaned rich boy supposed to do? Act the playboy by day and save Gotham at night. I'm not sure where the stereotype comes in. I just wanted an excuse to post this picture.

Sorry there was no Junk Drawer Friday, but I had taken the day off of posting to enjoy a friend's company. Enjoy my snarky sense of humor, though

6 Comments:

At 1:19 PM, Blogger Spider Girl said...

I wish I had the super-power of fitting nicely into some of those comic-book outfits....

(I used to collect comics but mostly stuck to ElfQuest and Sandman.)

By the way, I just love your Junk Drawer Friday idea. :)

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger MrManuel said...

Yeah, the stereotypes are bad, but it really never bothered me. As a Marvel guy, I love seeing Batman get stomped on like that. Is he doing some S&M or what? I haven't collected comics for years, but I just had a talk with the wife today and convinced her to let me start again. Very excited!!!!!

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Nobius said...

Can I ask a stupid question, why would you have to ask your wife to collect comics?

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger MrManuel said...

I talk it over with my wife before I decide on any expenses. Collecting comics on a regular basis would be a monthly cost, as little as it is. I don't want to just assume that it is okay to spend money on whatever I want at anytime.

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Nobius said...

Got ya Mrmanuel. I limit my comic spending to 20.00 a month or so plus I ask for comics for my birthday and Christmas.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Valkyrie said...

I wish I had 20 bucks to spend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home