Sunday, December 25, 2005

The Slowly Becoming Lost Art of Conversation

It might be me, but I think a conversation consists of just more than one reply from either participant of aforementioned exchange of spoken (or written) words. I like conversations worth having. I like exploring ideas and concepts in depth. I like reading what other people have to say or what they think about a particular subject. I throughly masticate any new theories or thoughts brought up. I AM INTELLIGENT, DAMMIT.

But if a person says they want to have a talk with me, forgive me if I have expectations of it being a good one. I appreciate, I don't need it, feedback on what I said, whether you agree with me or not. Hmm. I think I'll confer with my roomie about this topic. I certainly don't want to come off sounding hostile.

**Insert Your Choice of Cheery Elevator Music Here**

Ok, I'm back. My roommate says that guys just say what they think needs to be said and fine ladies like me prefer to mash things over, leaving no stone unturned. So to speak. Her explanation makes sense to me. Guys=concise. Ladies=longwinded chatterboxes.

So I will no longer feel insulted or hurt if the discussion is shorter than I anticipated. If I were truly boring or if my conversation was 'not valued', people would simply ignore me.

....Hello? Anyone listening? :)

5 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Blogger Grant said...

"Hello? Anyone listening?"

Yes.

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Valkyrie said...

That was a rhetorical question. I hope you weren't offended as it was not directed at you and I tried to add a small amount of humor so people wouldn't take it as a complaint.

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Spider Girl said...

I am reading a book by Josey Vogels called "The Secret Language of Girls" and it talks about how women talk in different ways from men for both biolgical and cultural reasons.

Apparently in medieval times, women were feared for their "slippery tongues" and women who talked a lot were often suspected of witchcraft.

Geez, I would've been tied to a stake pronto because that's what I do: I talk. I love to talk. Chatting. Conversing. Relating.

One of the best things in life is a good conversation. :)

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Valkyrie said...

And women with lazy eyes like mine would have joined ya.

Babble on, my sisters!

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger MrManuel said...

I hate when people like your roommate stereotype men as being nonconversationalists. Some of us actually do like to talk. Sure, there are times when it is just easier ot get to the point. Other times, let's have a conversation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home