Monday, March 13, 2006

“Damn those Mexicans!” Says my father, who continues to gripe about how ‘they’ steal all the manual labor jobs that he’s trying to get. I can’t describe how I feel about his sentiments in polite company. Let’s just say I feel for people who try to improve their family’s well being by doing whatever they can. Even if it means sneaking into a country that may not want you. I’d rather people immigrate legally, but I certainly understand why people do risk their lives for the hope of a better one.

“Damn those Muslims. I hope they all blast themselves to hell for not acknowledging Jesus as God!” So spake my step mom as I restrained myself to not lash out with incredibly harsh words. I really wanted to tell her what a wonderful Christian she was by giving Muslims such a heart-warming prayer. I can see how frantically she is clinging to religion in these ‘golden’ years of her life. She’s becoming even more intolerant of people who do not share her faith and seems to almost expect that people acknowledge Jesus as their lord. Excuse me, but I think faith is a personal thing and Mom needs to back off with her high handed remarks. In my presense, at least.

Guess what? I think my parents are racist! There is always something to be learned from DIVERSITY, from other cultures and beliefs.

5 Comments:

At 9:34 PM, Blogger MrManuel said...

Well, as a fellow Mexican, I would say your father doesn't know what he is talking about. I'll leave it at that....

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger Valkyrie said...

I agree. My parents can be rather close minded. LOVE EVERYONE, YA'LL.

 
At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion.We don't have to agree with them and often they can be very small minded.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Tai said...

I'm just glad I'm NOT racist, despite the fact that others around me may be.

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Valkyrie said...

People are entitled to their own opinion and I'm entitled to ignoring it!

Tai: Racism = bad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home