Sunday, January 29, 2006

Interactive post

Mamma has always had a love for other people's possessions. Maybe it was ‘cause she had little of her own where she grew up. She regaled me over and over again with stories of just how meager her childhood existence was in comparison to mine. She told those stories to me when I had been particularly ‘ungrateful’, i.e. bad in school, accidentally broke a toy, or didn’t want to share with my brothers who would oftentimes destroy my favorite things on purpose. I got back at them later when they started to date. Somehow, I made sure their baby pictures were always seen by their girlfriends, and they knew why I embarrassed them too. I haven’t heard from any of them in a few years. I do so hope they are fine.

Anyway, I digress. Back to Mamma and her stories of her frugal girlhood and eventually her love of possesions that she didn’t possess. It got her into trouble one not- so-long ago day.

One thing I was never sure of after her lectures; was I supposed to feel guilty or glad that my parents gave me a brighter future? Did it depend on the mood Mamma was in? I thought about asking Mamma, but she had a quick temper sometimes. She was never abusive, but her words had a tendency to cut deep into me. When she noticed, she always gave me a hug and minded her tongue for awhile.

Then, at a church, she saw an amethyst bracelet that she wanted for her own. Trouble was, it belonged to Mrs. Clark DuMont, someone who was always showing Mamma up by raising more money for the church’s charities and liked to rub it in. I don’t blame Mamma for not liking Mrs. DuMont, hardly any of us poorer people did, but I knew something was up by the way she looked at Mrs. DuMont.

Ok, folks, it’s up to you to finish this story. Leave a comment, please. My hands need a break!

2 Comments:

At 7:31 PM, Blogger Tai said...

"It wasn't common knowledge, but Mrs. Dumont used to be called lil' Angie Clarent.

Now, Miss Angie Calrent grew up on exactly the same side of the trakcs as Mamma did.

It was a hundred years ago if it was a day, but finally Mamma told me over some really old port, the whole story behind that amethyst bracelet.

It wasn't the nicest story, or the best story, but suddenly, who Mamma was made a lot more sense to me.

Mamma said she was about 14, 'just startin' to develop' is what she said."

(ok...that's my portion!)

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Valkyrie said...

***Tai, I hope you don't mind if I blogrolled ya! And thanks for coming by.***


Angie Calrent and Mamma went to school together and they ran about in the same crowds. Angie was more popular, but Mamma had caught the attention of a boy Angie fancied.

Logan Frasier was his name and his claim to fame was the bright copper glare of his hair. He was kind and strong and the secret crush of every teenage girl in the small high school. He liked Mamma and it irked lil Miss Priss Angie to no end.

Then, Mamma found out Angie had done something no proper Southern Belle would do...she had knocked boots with Logan and they started dating for awhile and he had given her the bracelet as a token of his affection.

Mamma, in a fit of fury, cut him and her out of her life, and dropped out of that particular school.

Time passed and Angie Calrent had been caught cheating on Logan with a rich boy, Clark DuMont. They got married when she showed up pregnant.

By that time, Mamma had begun to cautiously date even as she earned a living as a waitress. Logan had tried to get back in her good graces, but she was a prideful woman and told him where to go in a unpolite way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home