Saturday, November 05, 2005

Ravenous

Ravenousis one of those rare horror/thriller/western movies that is actually quite good. It starts off with the protagonist getting transferred from the Mexican-American war for 'cowardice' and finds himself in California at a very primitive frontier settlement.

Then a mysterious man, close to death, wanders into the encampment, tells a story of cannibalism and mayhem, so the soldiers go check it out. Gory mayhem ensues. I squirm. And squeak. This isn't a movie for the faint of stomach.

This movie, I believe, is a satire on the consumerism of society and there is a direct parallel drawn between cannibalism and being a consumer. (Like Romero's Dawn of the Dead) As a horror fan, I love this movie because it freaked me out and is tinged with dark humor, but as a person who is interested in philosophy ... I am fascinated with Ravenous because it is also about people's vast hunger for what they think will satisfy them.

And then there is the hill billy music...

2 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, Blogger sands of time said...

I love horror movies im going to have to check that one out.

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger Valkyrie said...

It's a well made movie. I think our mutual blogpal, Grant, would like it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home