Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The Bible and the National Enquirer

Let me ask you a question; would you believe everything you read in the National Enquirer? I don’t read it, but my eyes do scan the cover as I’m getting groceries. I think some of the stories have a grain of truth (0.00001%) in them*, but the articles are written by people of ‘dubious’ integrity with the intent of making a decent paycheck.

Another question: do you PERSONALLY know the people who wrote the Bible? I didn’t think so. How can you know their motives behind what they wrote? Just because they said God told them what to put down in words is not a valid excuse. If I wrote a book for the Bible and said it was inspired by God, would you believe me? I hope not. I hope you would question my INTENT and credentials before you'd blindly accept it.

People are corruptible. (Cough *David* Cough *Peter*) So how can we expect God to deliver his Truth through such ‘frail’ messengers?

I can’t live my life according to a hodge-podged, put together book but I respect the rights of those people that DO.

Now I’m off to write some more on my novella.


*Going with the even-a-legend-has-some-basis-in-truth theory.

1 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Blogger Dani Kekoa said...

The Bible was the first book ever printed back in 1454 A.D. and it has been the number one seller of all time ever since. Taking that into account, I think it would be worth it for you to verify if it is true or not.

While no one personally knows the authors of the Bible we can know who they are through their writings. Many of the authors were put in prison, be-headed and murdered for what they wrote, so I think it is safe to say that their motives were pure and they had no personal agenda to fulfill.

The Bible is a historical book written over a period of 1,500 years, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit by over 40 different authors from all walks of life: shepherds, farmers, tent-makers, physicians, fishermen, priests, philosophers and kings. Despite these differences in occupation and the span of years it took to write it, the Bible is an extremely cohesive and unified book. All of the people and landmarks actually did exist at one time and that information can be verified by simply doing a study of history and geography.

Another good indicator of the Bible's accuracy is the fact that the authors were so honest about who they are. Usually when people write about themselves they don't write about how evil they are, they usually only write the good things that would make them look good. David was an adulterer and a murderer yet he was a man after God's own heart because he repented. The Apostle Paul called himself the "Chief of all sinners" because he too tortured and murdered many Christiansin his time, yet God used him to preach the gospel of grace and Paul wrote most of the New Testament.

I suppose you would actually have to read the Bible for yourself before you can make a judgment of its accuracy. I guess the main point to understand is: The Greater the Sin, The Greater the Forgiveness. All God requires is that you have faith in Him and you repent of your sins. Now does that mean you have to be perfect - no of course not, but God can work through you to bring you purpose, happiness and fulfillment in your life as you go through struggles.

The Bible is jammed packed full of verses that pertain to any questions you could possibly have about life: Love, hate, joy, sadness, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, faith, sin, forgiveness, self-control, wisdom, knowledge, understanding, grief, hopelessness, judgment, pain and suffering....the list goes on and on and on.

Think of the B-I-B-L-E like this: Basic - Instructions - Before - Leaving - Earth.

If the Bible really is a "hodge-podged" book like you think it is, then you have lost nothing by actually reading it. BUT....if the Bible really is the word of God, like people claim it is, then you have gained EVERYTHING!
What do you really have to lose?

Sincerely Your Friend,
Dani

 

Post a Comment

<< Home