Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Shoe on the Highway

Due to my aunt (with whom I carpool) having to work so late that having dinner at home would not be good for my digestive system, I decided I would have Chinese food.

I trotted my ample self over to the August Moon, which is conveniently across the street from my place of employment.

I felt weird the instant I stepped in there. Eating by oneself in a nice resteraunt is an...odd sensation. Like you are on display. I noticed right away four Sex in the City wanna bes looking at me, as if they wondered why a woman would want to dine alone.

I tried not to let my imagination take wing as I thought of several people I'd like to have dinner with. I didn't want to think of the conversations about philosophy, movies and literature that might have taken place if they were there in that dimly lit place. Or how nice it would be for me if they were 'accidentally' to brush their hand against mine.

No. The only company I had was a Stephen King book and four catty women who purposely looked away as they passed my table to 'powder' their collective, perfectly plastic noses. Yes, I'm catty on occasion too.

It occured to me as I munched on my vegetable chow mein, that eating alone is a lot like being that one deserted shoe on the side of the road--the shoe that always manages to look...well...alone and despondent.

5 Comments:

At 8:24 PM, Blogger Author said...

I eat alone 99% of the time ... unless you count all the strangers in the same building.

I also go to movies (when I DO go to movies, which is not common these days) alone about 75% of the time.

Guess what? I go where and when I want to without having to try to match orbits with anyone else. I can eat as fast or as slowly as I please, and I take a good book along.

I enjoy company. It's nice. But there is so much going on in the world and around me and in my own head I can make it from human contact to human contact without getting light-headed.

School is remarkably interesting and — almost — fun! I like the people I'm meeting there (young and old, dudes and chicks)! But I am so full of myself (in all the good and bad ways) that whether or not I'm "alone" doesn't touch my mood much at all.

It's healthy to not want to be alone. It is not wise to read too much into the motives of others. IF the women at the cat-food (I mean Chinese food!) place were having a problem about you ... they were sad people whose opinions mean only as much as you invest in them. If they were not having a problem with you ... shiney! Have some more tea and turn some more pages!

Peace out,
P-X

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Valkyrie said...

I spend 99% of my time alone. Especially at work. At home, I barely get to see my roomie.

I get tired of being alone.

Women are wired to be in packs. We go to the restroom in three's or four's or five's. We (or most of my gender) congregate in multitudes. For the most part, women are more gregarious than men, who seem to do better with being by themselves.

It is NOT considered natural for a woman to eat by herself, at least by other women.

Let me assure you I was only stating what was on my mind, giving my observation, and not throwing a pity party. Believe you me, you'd know if I were.

Spaghetti right back at you, P-X.
(c:

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Spider Girl said...

I have a very good friend who swears by eating alone.

She likes her own company, likes to savour food as an experience, and apologizes to no one for eating alone in a fine restaurant.

I rather admire her (and you) for it.

And I'd be honoured if you put a link to my blog on yours. :)

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger Grant said...

I always feel awkward doing what I consider group activities by myself, including movies and dining out. I mostly do takeout these days.

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger Valkyrie said...

Please write more, Grant. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home